Tilly and The Buttons Bettine Dress and Agnes Top

As the weather is looking a tad more promising of late, I’m conscious my Summer wardrobe needs a few additions. I’ve been after a summer dress for a while, something non-fussy, cool to wear but stylish. Enter the Bettine dress from Tilly and the Buttons. It’s a gorgeous scoop neck dress with pockets, and easy to wear and make with no closures to worry about.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 22.35.00

Fabric-wise I’d just bought the most amazing viscose from The Textile Centre on eBay and at only £3.99 a metre, it’s a bargain.

The pattern was easy to follow and the handy colourful booklet made it enjoyable to work through. The neckline came out beautifully and as a hater of facings flapping about, I love that this one is anchored with topstitching all the way round – I’m gonna do all my facings like this from now on.

Tilly’s patterns have their own sizing chart and I plumped for the size 4 after looking at the finished garment sizing I figured I’d have enough ease. I was a tad concerned when the bodice wouldn’t fit my mannequin, but all worked out well in the end. It fits me really well, although I’ll sew a size up next time as I prefer a slightly looser fit, especially for summer.

I didn’t make any major adjustments, just the usual addition of an inch to the bodice and I also added an inch to the skirt section too as I’d seen many Bettines looking a bit short online. As a result I only turned up a 1cm hem too. I didn’t sew up the cuffs on the sleeves, I just added the cuff as it came, which added some welcome length to the overall look.

I’ve reviewed this on You Tube too where you can see it a bit better.


Now for the Agnes top, also from Tilly and the Buttons.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 23.33.05

I’d bought some gorgeous Viscose Jersey from Tia Knight Fabrics and it’s the nicest I’ve seen, so I didn’t want to mess up this make!

I opted to make the gathered sleeve version with a plain neckline. I hose to sew the neck band with the stripes running vertically as in the pic below from TATB.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 23.34.01

I also chose to cut the sleeve with the stripes running vertical too – for no other reason than I would have less stripe matching, ha ha always thinking!

Size-wise I made a size 7 as I didn’t want to take any chances of the fit being too small. I needn’t have as the jersey was very forgiving and a size 5 would have sufficed, so after taking in the sides it all worked out in the end.

The sleeves were easy to sew as they are sewn flat rather than in the round, so for a beginner this would be a great first make if you are thinking about sewing jersey. Just use a new ballpoint needle on your sewing machine and take the plunge!

More info on this is also in this week’s vlog on You Tube

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 23.37.44

Thanks for popping in, see you soon,



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s